A new beginning doesn't always have to start with the New Year

In October of 2010, my weight reached an all-time high. After being "officially" diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) in May of 2009, I spent a year of taking Metformin every single day, and hated every single day of it. For some of you who may not know what PCOS is, to sum it up, it is a hormonal imbalance which about 10% of women suffer from. The symptoms range anywhere from missed/abnormal menstrual cycles to obesity, diabetis, heart disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and the most common- infertility. Along with these, you are also at a higher risk for heart disease and certain cancers. Back to the metformin; metformin is prescribed to help regulate insulin levels in people with diabetes. Because women with PCOS are often insulin resistant, doctors often prescribe Metformin to them hoping to regulate cycles and promote pregnancies. The bad thing is that Metformin has some really mean side effects. These mean side effects occur in some, but not all patients. I fell in the some category (not cool). It made me very tired and sick to my stomach all the time. There is no need to go into depth. After trying a year on Metformin, I decided to go for a round of Clomid in June of 2010. We had been trying to conceive for almost two years by that time. I would really love to give Jacob a younger brother or sister. Needless to say, being on Clomid, Progesterone, and Metformin made me feel absolutely awful. After one round, we decided it was time to quit everything. I had no quality of life anymore, and I needed to take back my life for my family and me. Of course after going off Metformin, I immediately gained 6 pounds. I waited several months until I had a routine visit with my general practitioner. He stated that he wanted to run some blood panels. Needless to say, I did not get good news. My cholesterol was out of control (twice the limit it should be). My blood sugar was also out of whack. I decided to take control at that moment. The doc agreed to the diet plan I researched, and has given me until the end of February to see results. Since October, I have been on a gluten-free, sugar-free, low carb meal plan. I also take a few supplements. I have lost 20 pounds to date. I will go more into the details later. I just wanted to start this blog off with how I got where I am now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny to fat to me...

No room for excuses!